Where Is ZESPRI® Kiwifruit Sold?

ZESPRI® Kiwifruit is sold to over 45 countries around the world.  Our largest markets are in Asia, Europe and the United States. 

Kiwifruit Sales Volume 2011/12

ZESPRI® Kiwifruit Volume Sales by Region


Europe  55.4 million trays
Japan  18.6 million trays
Other Asia  32.5 million trays
North America  7.8 million trays


 


Where Is New Zealand ZESPRI® Kiwifruit Grown?

 NZ registered orchards

Is ZESPRI® Kiwifruit Grown Outside New Zealand?

ZESPRI® Kiwifruit doesn't only come from New Zealand.  ZESPRI has partnered with growers around the world to supply premium quality ZESPRI® Kiwifruit to our customers and consumers when New Zealand ZESPRI® Kiwifruit is not available.

ZESPRI has licenced growers in Italy, France, Chile, Japan, South Korea and Australia to grow our exclusive ZESPRI® GOLD Kiwifruit.  ZESPRI also has exclusive arrangements and sources ZESPRI® GREEN Kiwifruit from growers who grow premium quality kiwifruit to ZESPRI's high standards.
How Many Kiwifruit Orchards Are There In New Zealand?

The industry's 2,662 growers and 3,149 registered orchards use a total of just 12,500 hectares for production.
What Percentage Of New Zealand's Horticultural Exports Is ZESPRI® Kiwifruit?

Despite global kiwifruit production doubling between 1989 and 2009, New Zealand maintained high returns for its premium high-quality fruit. As a result, while New Zealand has less than a third of globally-traded volume, it captures over two-thirds of the net market value of globallytraded kiwifruit.

Global Production

How Was ZESPRI® GOLD Kiwifruit Developed?

The story of ZESPRI® GOLD Kiwifruit begins in the late 1970s. Tiny Actinidia chinensis kiwifruit seeds were collected from Beijing Botanical Gardens, the Guangxi Institute of Botany in Guilin and from wild plants in South and Central China. They were planted at New Zealand’s Te Puke Research Orchard.

ZESPRI® GOLD Kiwifruit is the child of a mother plant from Beijing with yellow flesh and great flavour; and a male plant from the Guilin family, chosen because its sisters all produced large succulent fruit. In 1992, a single vine from this partnership was planted in block 37 – row 1 – bay 16 – position A. Not surprisingly, its name was Hort16A. For the next five years, Hort16A was nurtured and evaluated for taste, colour, size, storage and shelf-life.

In 1998, 4000 trays of Hort16A were exported for the first time. Each year since then, the world’s best kiwifruit growers have planted and harvested more ZESPRI® GOLD Kiwifruit.
What Percentage Of The World's Kiwifruit Comes From New Zealand?

New Zealand is not the biggest producer of kiwifruit in the world, but ZESPRI is the biggest marketer in the world with over 20% of the market share year round.

Source: World Kiwifruit Review 2010

How Is ZESPRI® Kiwifruit Delivered To The Markets?

Every year ZESPRI exports tens of millions of trays of ZESPRI® Kiwifruit out to its markets on ships, 70% goes out on charter vessels - these go to our main markets - Japan, Asia and Europe. The other 30% goes in container vessels.
What Is ZESPRI's Position On Genetic Engineering?

ZESPRI will not fund research, market or have in its inventory any genetically modified kiwifruit. ZESPRI supports Research and Development as a key component of the New Zealand kiwifruit industry’s future success but chooses not to pursue genetically modified kiwifruit as a new fruit product.

Kiwifruit is purchased and consumed because it is a healthy, enjoyable food. The image of New Zealand as ‘clean, green’ and therefore ‘safe’ is considered to be a benefit to kiwifruit sales particularly in Europe, and also in Japan. It is ZESPRI’s view that consumer opinion and perceptions will limit the acceptability of genetic modification technology in the foreseeable future.
What Is ZESPRI's Corporate Structure?

ZESPRI has a unique structure.  In 1988 New Zealand Kiwifruit growers banded together and requested that the New Zealand Government create a single point of entry for exporting New Zealand Kiwifruit.  The Kiwifruit Industry Restructuring Act 1999 created the New Zealand Kiwifuit Marketing Board (NZKMB) which in turn became ZESPRI International Limited in 1997.  ZESPRI International Limited is a corporatised cooperative and is the sole exporter of New Zealand Kiwifruit outside of New Zealand and Australia.
Is It Safe To Eat Kiwifruit Skin?

Kiwifruit are most commonly eaten as a peeled fruit or cut in half and scooped with a spoon, and this is our recommended practise for eating. However many people do choose to eat the skin, in which case we recommend that as with other fruit eaten with the skin on, the kiwifruit is washed thoroughly prior to consumption.
 
ZESPRI Global Sites: