The Prime Minister Rt Hon John Key today officially opened Zespri’s new sales and marketing hub in Singapore, which has been set up to manage the kiwifruit industry’s strong growth. Zespri Chairman Peter McBride says it was an honour to have the Prime Minister open the new office.
“Volumes of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit set to grow strongly in the next few years and Zespri is investing in its market capability to deliver this growth for New Zealand growers. Our head office is in Tauranga in the region where 80 percent of New Zealand’s kiwifruit is grown and this Singapore hub is the market-side base for our global sales and marketing leadership team.
“Being market driven is fundamental to our success as a global brand and this office in Singapore supports our global connectedness and the market-centric approach of our industry.
“The Singapore office is not just Zespri’s global sales and marketing office, it’s part of our focus on the Southeast Asia region as well,” says Mr McBride.
The Southeast Asian region is an important growth market for Zespri, with forecast sales of around $78 million this season and sales volumes set to almost double over the next five years. The hub will also offer corporate support services to nearby Asian markets including Japan and China –Zespri’s largest two country markets.
The Prime Minister joined a delegation of Maori kiwifruit growers on a marketing visit to Asia for a traditional Maori blessing of the new office and its whakairo/carving.
Kaumatua Pouroto Ngaropo blessed the office and the carving Te Tipuranga by Tauranga-based carver James Tapiata which symbolises the connection to Zespri’s roots in the Bay of Plenty region in New Zealand.
More information about Zespri in Singapore
- Zespri has been selling its premium Zespri Kiwifruit in Singapore for over 20 years
- Zespri has had in-market staff based in Singapore for the past eight years to support sales in the wider Southeast Asia region
- The hub office will support sales in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia (Zespri’s top three Southeast Asian markets) and also Vietnam, the Philippines and Thailand
- Zespri is forecasting sales of nearly 4 million trays in Southeast Asia this season
- The hub will provide corporate support services to the wider Asian region including Japan and China