Mexican children will find a surprise in their McDonald’s Happy Meals from this weekend – a delicious Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit from New Zealand. Zespri General Manager Carol Ward explains that Zespri is thrilled to partner with one of the world’s largest and best-known food retailers to introduce consumers in Mexico to Zespri’s great-tasting new gold variety.
“We sell in 54 countries around the world and this is a world first for Zespri, which will result in sales of more than 1 million pieces of this sweet, juicy fruit. Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit is full of goodness – one SunGold provides all your daily recommended vitamin C – and we’re confident Mexican parents will appreciate this healthy addition to their children’s diets,” says Carol. According to Félix Ramírez, Director of Corporate Communication for McDonald’s México, McDonald’s commitment to innovation and quality leads it to search out the best products for all its consumers.
“McDonald’s in Mexico is searching for suppliers that are governed by and adopt our high standards of hygiene and quality; for us, the fact that we are incorporating products such as kiwifruit into our range of options is synonymous with evolution and our commitment to Mexican society,” says Felix.
One Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit and spife (combination spoon-knife to cut and scoop) will be available in every McDonald’s Happy Meal in more than 400 McDonald’s Mexico restaurants throughout the month of June. A SunGold advertisement will also play on McTV in McDonald’s stores during the promotion and McDonald’s Mexico’s 8,000 crew will receive training about Zespri and SunGold.
“Mexico is a sophisticated fruit market and consumers have responded really positively to the sweet tropical taste of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit. Mexico is a relatively undeveloped market for Zespri; we’re forecasting sales volumes of around 750,000 trays in Mexico this season, up 50 percent from last season.
“This marketing partnership is a great step toward establishing both our brand and gold kiwifruit, which is largely unknown in this region, to families across Mexico. This is part of a broader strategy to introduce our new premium product and its powerful health benefits to new markets around the world.” says Carol.
Some additional facts
- Tens of thousands of Happy Meals are sold across Mexico each day.
- Nearly one billion pieces of Zespri SunGold will be sold around the world this season.
- Zespri SunGold contains three times more vitamin C than oranges.
- One Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit provides your daily vitamin C needs in an easy and convenient way. Vitamin C is important for your immune system and can’t be stored in the body.
- Kiwifruit is high in many different nutrients compared to other fruit, which gives you vitality.
- Zespri Kiwifruit is one of the most nutritious fruits with a powerful combination of fibre, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals without the calories.
For more information and photos or to request an interview, contact Zespri Senior Communications Advisor Rachel Lynch on firstname.lastname@example.org or 027 509 1805.