Required time 40 minutes, plus extra time for marinating
- 3 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit
- 2 free range chicken breasts
- 2g fresh rosemary
- 2g fresh thyme
- 25g unpeeled garlic cloves
- 20g olive oil
- 200g peeled pearl onions
- 200g dark poultry stock
- 40ml white wine
- Flaked sea salt
- Black pepper
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and marinate in a sealable container for 48 hours along with the thyme, rosemary, the smashed garlic cloves and 20g of the olive oil. Set aside to chill in the fridge.
- In a saucepan over a low heat, lightly brown the onions in a tablespoon of oil. Cover with the stock, cover and cook for a further 25 minutes. Season to taste. Take out the onions and reduce the stock on a low heat to a third of its original volume.
- Take the chicken breasts out of the fridge 30 minutes before you cook them to bring them to room temperature. Place the chicken in an oven dish and roast at 220º C for 20 minutes.
- Cut the kiwifruit in half and scoop out the flesh using a melon baller. Set aside.
- 5 minutes before the chicken has come to the end of its cooking time, pour over the white wine and add the onions and the kiwifruit to the dish. Let all the ingredients cook together.
- Finely slice the breasts and serve alongside the onions and the kiwifruit. Pour over the reduced stock and scatter some more fresh thyme. Season with the flaked sea salt.
You can use shallots instead of pearl onions and ready-made chicken stock in place of the dark poultry stock.
If the kiwifruit are a little too overripe, add them to the roasting dish at the last minute so that they don’t fall apart.