Required time 50 mins
- 2 spring lamb shanks, split down the middle
- 260g long grain rice
- 3 Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit
- 60g toasted cashews
- 60g raisins
- 1 large onion
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
- Fresh mint leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the onion and cut into quarters. In a pressure cooker over a high heat, brown the seasoned lamb shanks along with the onion and a couple of teaspoons of olive oil. Once browned, lower the heat and add the cinnamon stick, turmeric, coriander and cumin. Cover with water, season once more and cover. Once the mixture has come to a boil, pressure cook on a low heat for 25 minutes. Let the pressure drop naturally.
- Remove the lamb, strain the resulting stock and season to taste. Set aside twice the amount of stock as there is rice. Heat over a medium flame in a large saucepan.
- Wash the rice with cold water, drain and add the stock once it starts to boil. Simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes, remove from heat and leave to rest.
- In the meantime, in a large pan, fry the peeled and chopped kiwifruit, raisins and cashews in a large tablespoon of oil. Turn up the heat to high and add a tablespoon’s worth of the fresh mint along with the rice. Sauté the rice and stir continuously until all the ingredients are mixed well together. Season to taste.
- Serve the rice alongside the lamb.
You could use other nuts, such hazelnuts or almonds, and different types of fruit, such as dried apricots. The sweetness of the fruit alongside the lamb and the aromatic cinnamon is sure to impress you.
If you can’t get hold of leg shanks, you can use any other cut of lamb. Prepare it as you like and add it to the rice once cooked.