Kiwifruit can be used to marinate meat or octopus, as it contains the enzyme ‘actinidin’ which is a natural and very effective tenderiser. Spread a ‘mash’ of Zespri® Green Kiwifruit over the meat and leave for 30 minutes, before scraping off and grilling. The same enzyme also prevents gelatine from setting so that, like pineapple, kiwifruit in a dessert will not ‘set’ unless poached first.
- ½ full sirloin of beef, Tunnelled
- 2 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit
- 300ml beef stock
- 150ml dry sherry or Madeira
- Salt and pepper
- Avocado oil for frying and greasing
Allow steaks to come to room temperature, marinading in crushed Zespri® Green Kiwifruit. Heat a clean frying pan dry until very hot. Flatten tournedos slightly with heel of hand and season. Cook over a high heat for 3 minutes on each side for rare and 4 minutes for medium. Transfer to a warm plate, cover and keep warm. Pour beef stock and sherry or Madeira into pan to deglaze, quickly reducing liquid to a syrupy consistency. Add remaining butter, a small piece at a time, swirling pan until incorporated to finish the texture of the sauce and give a beautiful gloss.
- 1 red capsicum, chopped roughly
- 1 yellow capsicum, chopped roughly
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup quinoa (pronounced ‘keenwa’)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup spinach, chopped roughly
- 2 Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit, skinned and finely sliced
- 150g haloumi cheese, grilled until golden brown
- Vinaigrette dressing (see below)
Roast chopped vegetables (except spinach), garlic and olive oil in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Meanwhile, wash quinoa with cold water in a sieve and squeeze dry in a clean tea towel. Place quinoa in a pan, place over a medium heat and fry until lightly toasted. Cover with boiling water or stock and simmer gently until all the liquid has been absorbed. Remove vegetables from oven and add to quinoa with spinach and seasoning. Add dressing and mix well. Place in a bowl with grilled haloumi on top as a garnish and serve.
- ½ tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
- 100ml hazelnut oil
- 100ml avocado oil
- 100ml olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 turns white pepper
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
Place all the ingredients into a blender and blitz for 60 seconds. Strain through a fine sieve.