It’s really cool to bring this out of the oven and turn it over just as everyone finishes the main course. As you can tell from the timings, that means make it in advance but only cook it when you start eating the main course.
- 6 Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit – peeled and halved
- 120g butter
- 200g sugar
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- 250g puff pastry
- Pinch flour
- Evenly grease the base of the frying pan with the butter, cover with the sugar and then arrange the Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit, rounded side down, on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with the picked leaves of fresh thyme.
- Lay the puff pastry over the Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit and rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Set the pan over a high heat and caramelise the Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit then cook in a preheated oven at 220˚C for 20 minutes.
- When cooked, immediately turn over onto a plate and serve with Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit and Ginger Ice Cream
Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit and Ginger Ice Cream
- 3 Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit, crushed and lightly poached with honey and Ginger to taste.
- 300ml milk
- 300ml cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
Mix together the milk and cream in a pan. Scrape out the seeds of the vanilla and add to pan, and then add the scraped pod as well. Bring to the boil.
While this is heating, beat the sugar and egg yolks together until pale and light. Slowly pour on the milk and cream stirring all the time until well blended. Leave to cool stirring occasionally. Remove the vanilla pod and add the poached Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit.
Now comes the freezing process, if you have an ice cream machine then churn as per the machines instructions or freeze in an open tray turning regularly until set. For the brave, try the dry ice method. Crush the Dry Ice to a course powder and add a couple of tablespoons at a time while stirring until desired consistency forms (this should take about a minute).