Careful management of ZESPRI’s supply chain ensures that customers and consumers consistently receive kiwifruit of the highest quality.
The ZESPRI® System’s best practices are demonstrated right through the supply chain, which includes Growers, Packhouses, Coolstores, Suppliers, Transport and Shipping, and represents every step in the journey from the vine to the customer.
Once ZESPRI® Kiwifruit arrive in the packhouses and coolstores, the fruit is randomly tested by the ZESPRI Quality Assessors. With the exception of ethylene, a naturally occurring gas found in some fruits, which may be used to ripen early export shipments, no chemicals are used on our kiwifruit post harvest.
Approximately 10% of harvested crops are reject fruit, most of which is used in fruit beverages or stock feed. The other 90 per cent of ZESPRI® Kiwifruit is held in environmentally friendly coolstores until it is shipped all over the world.
Coolstore temperatures maximise the kiwifruit’s firmness, safety and taste. The same temperatures are then maintained during transit to supermarket shelves world-wide, so that ZESPRI® Kiwifruit arrive in optimal condition.
ZESPRI’s core values and principles are an integral part of the value chain from growers and suppliers through to customers and consumers. Consequently, The ZESPRI® Brand is recognised as delivering consistently superior quality and value to customers.