Zespri is dedicated to its customers and is focussed on consistently providing excellent product and excellent service.
We recognise that a consistently high level of customer service can only be attained by an integrated Supply Chain that, from orchard to point of retail sale, is focussed on understanding and meeting consumer’s requirements.
The Zespri System, the integrated production and distribution system used to deliver the world’s best kiwifruit to consumers worldwide, is one of the foundation blocks of the Zespri Brand. It is the culmination of many years of scientific, technical and practical developments and an uncompromised commitment to continual improvement.
The Zespri System recognises that quality has many components, but they all rely on a combination of Best Practice, excellent product and documented assurance to provide customer confidence. It has been developed in recognition of customers’ needs for a comprehensive assurance that fruit has been grown and handled safely with:
- A strong focus on good agricultural practice including:
- Environmental and economic sustainability including the efficient use of natural resources
- Integrated Pest Management
- Orchard to retail traceability
- A socially responsible approach to workers and the communities it supports
- Practices that maximise fruit quality, taste and storage potential of the fruit
- Leading edge Good Manufacturing Practice throughout the postharvest and distribution sectors of the industry
- An understanding of current and future market and customer needs
- World class Quality Management systems:
- Certified food safety and GAP systems
- Quality specification and measurement throughout the supply chain
- Comprehensive feedback systems to ensure customer feedback drives continual improvement
Zespri is committed to identifying our customers’ needs and provide them with products and services that meet or exceed mutually agreed specifications. Zespri Quality Policy for suppliers.pdf
Social Responsibility Policy
Zespri is committed to sourcing product from suppliers who operate socially responsible businesses. All suppliers must be able to demonstrate their commitment to ethical trading norms, their compliance with legal employment requirements and their respect of core labour rights and dignity at work. Zespri Social Responsibility Policy for suppliers.pdf
To build a sustainable future for Zespri and our growers, post harvest partners, shareholders and wider stakeholders, we are committed to ensuring that our economic success is integrated with proactive management of the environmental and social aspects of our business. Zespri Sustainability Policy for suppliers.pdf
Food Safety Policy
Zespri is committed to sourcing and supplying product that meets all regulatory and customers standards and requirements for Food Safety. Zespri Food Safety Policy for suppliers.pdf
Zespri Systems Video
Safety, Compliance and Control Systems
A Zespri kiwifruit label is a guaranteed symbol of quality: a trusted name. It also tells you that the kiwifruit in your hand is something special – it is grown according to the best, most sustainable methods available, tastes delicious and is a healthy and nutritious choice.
To make that guarantee, Zespri has a number of comprehensive and integrated compliance programmes that cover all stages of production from growing fruit in the orchard through to packing, storage and distribution of the Zespri Kiwifruit.
Zespri Good Agricultural Practice (GAP)
- The development of Zespri GAP is primarily based on the GLOBALG.A.P Standard. In addition Zespri incorporates additional elements in several areas where GLOBALG.A.P certification alone does not meet all of our customers’ expectations. Zespri GAP incorporates a wide range of important and focus areas including ethical trading, sustainability, safe food production,
- Zespri operates a group structure for the majority of its growers there are a small percentage of growers who are independently GLOBALG.A.P certified.
- Zespri is GLOBALG.A.P certified – Zespri GLOBALGAP.pdf
Zespri Crop Protection Standard
The Zespri Crop Protection Standard advises growers which Agrichemical Compounds may be applied to fruit which will be marketed by Zespri. There are different standards for Conventional and Organic production systems. These standards ensure fruit meets the legal requirements in each country where Zespri fruit is sold and that our customers and consumers requirements for safe fruit, produced in an environmentally responsible manner are also met.
Zespri KiwiGreen (Integrated Pest Management)
Since 1997, every kiwifruit exported from NZ has been produced in line with our orchard management system called ‘KiwiGreen’. Our KiwiGreen programme provides growers with information about any pests they may find in their orchard, how to monitor these and, if necessary, how to control them in a safe and environmentally sound manner.
Zespri Residue Assurance Programme
Our customers are rightly very concerned about any chemical used during the production for kiwifruit. We understand this concern so we carry out extensive residue testing on fruit from every one of our orchards. In this way we can provide independent, factual information about the level of residue in every line.
All Zespri organic orchards are certified by BioGro NZ Ltd, an internationally accredited organic certification body
Ensuring that all fruit are harvested at the correct maturity is a key step in ensuring consumers receive wonderful tasting fruit. Prior to harvest all orchards to tested by an independent laboratory to ensure that fruit meets Zespri’s strict maturity requirements.
A transparent guarantee of protection for the consumer. Every box of Zespri® Kiwifruit sold globally can be identified and tracked back to where it was packed and where it was grown.
All post-harvest facilities are required to adhere to Zespri’s strict food safety standards, including certification to a GFSI (Global Food Safety Initiative) approved food safety programme such as:
- BRC (British Retail Consortium)
- ISO (International Standards Organisation) 2200 plus TS (Technical Specification) 22002 for Food Manufacturing.
These standards are based on HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) principles – risks to food safety are systematically identified to enable appropriate controls to be put in place to manage these risks.
Zespri also holds SQF (Safe Quality Foods) certification for Agents and Brokers. This is a HACCP based supplier assurance code for the food industry. This programme is audited annually by an independent auditing body.
Zespri sets standards for the grade and quality of fruit. Zespri Auditors regularly visit post-harvest facilities to ensure that these standards are complied with. Further product checks are completed prior to export and again on arrival in the market.
Zespri is compliant to the Customs Secure Export Scheme (SES). The systems in place ensure that all of Zespri’s Kiwifruit exports are packed, stored and distributed in a manner that prevent tampering, contamination or threat. New Zealand customs certificate.pdf
Zespri has an integrated phytosanitary compliance programme that meets the Ministry for Primary Industry Certification Standard. The programme is integrated throughout the Zespri business and post harvest to ensure that product shipped to market meet the importing country phytosanitary requirements.