How to eat your way to a happier, healthier gut
Zespri SunGold kiwifruit
Zespri Green kiwifruit
You might think that the best way to improve your digestive health is to follow a stricter diet. But actually, what you need to do is follow a better diet. Even if you are a tough guy on the outside, your insides are notoriously sensitive to imbalances and deficiencies.
Anutritious diet is one of the most important things you can do to maintain the function of your digestive tract and your overall health1.In fact, eating well may even help prevent and relieve medical conditions that affect the intestines – such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and constipation1.
What should I eat to make my gut happier?
While there's no one-size-fits-all diet for people with digestive problems, there's growing evidence that a diet rich in vitamin C and fibre can bring remarkable health benefits2. In fact, many specific nutritional plans for intestinal diseases, such as the ‘colitis diet’, also give this recommendation3.
More vitamin C
When your digestive system is altered, it can be harder for your body to absorb vitamin C1, an essential antioxidant. As a result, you may have lower levels of this key nutrient in your blood than normal5, which means that you should make an extra effort to eat foods rich in vitamin C on a daily basis.
When you have digestive discomfort adding fibre to your diet can help relieve constipation and including it on a daily basis helps you keep regular.
Kiwifruit is an excellent source of vitamin C and minerals, and provides significant amounts of dietary fibre, which makes this fruit a great ally for your digestive health.
Breakfast fit for a kiwifruit king
Now you know the digestive health benefits of Zespri Green kiwifruit, why not give one of our favourite gut friendly recipes a try? Zespri oatmeal made with apple juice, kiwifruit and chia, is a delicious way to get your morning started. Your gut will thank you for it!
- University of California San Francisco. Nutrition Tips for Inflammatory Bowel Disease. https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/nutrition_tips_for_inflammatory_bowel_disease/
- National Institutes of Health. Vitamin C. Disponible en: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-HealthProfessional/
- University of Maryland Medical Centre. Ulcerative colitis. Disponible en: http://umm.edu/Health/Medical/AltMed/Condition/Ulcerative-colitis
- Gearry, R. A multi-center clinical trial of the effect of kiwifruit on digestive and gut healthfunctions. April 2016, Tauranga, New Zealand.
- Bird J. Vitamin C, inflammatory bowel disease and polymorphisms. http://www.dsm.com/campaigns/talkingnutrition/en_US/talkingnutrition-dsm-com/2013/11/vitamin_c_inflammatory_bowel_disease_polymorphisms.html