Zespri kiwifruit: your child’s daily scoop of energy!
Zespri SunGold kiwifruit
Zespri Green kiwifruit
It’s that time of year – autumn is here and the kids are back at school! Busy children need a healthy breakfast and school lunch to boost their energy and help them concentrate throughout the day.
Vitamin C contributes to normal energy metabolism and reduces tiredness and fatigue. Kiwifruit is known to be a great source of vitamin C.1 It helps to activate enzymes in your child’s body that play an important role in the regulation of energy and psychological function.
Vitamin C cannot be stored in the body, which is why children need to eat vitamin C-rich foods on a daily basis.
Luckily, it’s easy to make sure that your children get enough vitamin C with Zespri® kiwifruit. Just one Zespri® SunGold kiwifruit contains 161 mg of vitamin C – that’s almost three times as much vitamin C found in oranges, and more than enough to cover their daily needs!2
Vitamin C is easily destroyed by oxidation, which happens during food preparation and cooking. The best source of vitamin C are fresh, whole fruit like a delicious Zespri kiwifruit.
Quick and easy tips to make Zespri® kiwifruit lunchbox-friendly
- Cut kiwi fruit in half and let kids scoop out the flesh with a teaspoon
- Dice it up for a fruit salad
- Slice it up for a healthy snack
- Make fruit kababs with kiwi as the star (make sure to use blunt sticks or skewers to make them kid-friendly!)
- Self Nutrition Data. Available at: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1934/2 (accessed 6 September 2016)
- USDA national nutrient database for standard reference (release 28) 2015
- New Zealand Ministry of Health. New Zealand FOODfiles 2014 Version 01.