4 steps to a perfectly ripe SunGold kiwifruit this summer
Zespri SunGold kiwifruit
Zespri Green kiwifruit
Summer is in full swing. But whilst this is great weather for BBQs and hanging out in the parks or garden, the change in temperatures might also require us to think a little more carefully about how we store our food. Fresh products like kiwifruit might leave you with a few questions: should you keep it in, or outside the fridge? Next to, or away from other fruit? Not to worry, because help is at hand! Follow these simple steps and your Zespri SunGold kiwifruit will soon be ripened to perfection…
1. Speed UP the kiwifruit ripening process
Need your Zespri SunGold kiwifruit perfectly ripe? Then you may need to ripen the kiwifruit faster. The best way to do this is to store the Zespri SunGold kiwifruit at room temperature, in a paper bag. Even better – if you’ve got some other fruits such as apples, oranges, bananas or pears – place them alongside the kiwifruit to help speed up the process.
2. Slow DOWN the kiwifruit ripening process
In these warmer months, it is common for fresh fruits to ripen faster. So if you are saving your Zespri SunGold kiwifruit for a special treat, then make sure you place it in the fridge, away from other fruits such as apples, oranges, bananas or pears.
Zespri SunGold kiwifruit is softer than the Zespri Green variety. This means they don’t keep at room temperature for as long. However, yellow kiwifruit keep for a week in the fridge, and are even tastier eaten cold
3.Release the nutrients from a perfectly ripened kiwifruit
Now comes the fun part. Once you’ve ripened your kiwifruit to perfection, it’s time to give your body a healthy summer treat. Just one Zespri SunGold kiwifruit will provide your entire daily requirement of vitamin C1 – an essential nutrient that everybody needs to stay smiling in the sun. In fact, vitamin C can boost your body’s natural defences which may help keep summer sniffles at bay2,3 – leaving you free to enjoy your precious time outdoors! What’s more, Zespri SunGold kiwifruit also pack an impressively healthy dose of 17 essential vitamins and minerals (including antioxidants), making them one of the most nutritiousfoods available2,4 .
4. Enjoy the surprising sweetness of a ripe Zespri SunGold kiwifruit
With just one taste of Zespri SunGold kiwifruit you’ll know that summer has truly arrived. Refreshingly juicy with a tropical touch, the natural sweetness of this yellow variety actually increases as it ripens, giving it a unique, smooth flavour that provides the ideal accompaniment to savoury summer dishes.
So once you’ve ripened your Zespri SunGold kiwifruit to perfection, why not make one of our favourite recipes for when the sun is shining: The Zespri Ripe and Ready Veggie Burger. Made with avocado, chickpeas and corn, the SunGold topping gives a delicious sweet twist to a classic summer favourite. Just don’t forget the sun cream!
- USDA national nutrient database for standard reference (release 28) 2015. Available from: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/ (accessed 9 January 2017)
- US National Library of Medicine PubMed Health. Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0010777/ (accessed 8 December 2016)
- National Institutes of Health. Vitamin C. Available at: c(accessed 8 December 2016)
- New Zealand Ministry of Health. New Zealand FOODfiles 2014 Version 01. Available from: www.foodcomposition.co.nz/ (accessed 10 January 2017)