How breakfast can boost your energy for long summer days (and nights)
Zespri SunGold kiwifruit
Zespri Green kiwifruit
Whether the weather this summer is good, bad, or somewhere in between, you’re going to need plenty of energy to make the most of it. So how can a kiwifruit breakfast help keep vitality levels up? It’s simple: nutrition and flavour! A highly nutritious fruit like Zespri SunGold kiwifruit provides a whole range of vitamins and minerals1. At the same time, its tropical flavour is a taste sensation that makes every day feel like a sunny one.
Zespri SunGold kiwifruit is a 100 % natural variation of the green kiwifruit, and contains a
high concentration of vitamins and minerals
Start the day off right
Plenty of people will tell you that breakfast is important. Starting the day by waking up mind and body means that skipping or scrimping on it is never a good idea. In the long days of summer, that’s especially true? So which foods can help you stay energised and bright-eyed from morning to night? Look out for vitamin C, a natural antioxidant that has been shown to increase vitality levels and reduce tiredness and fatigue2,3. Zespri SunGold kiwifruit is a rich source of this nutrient, containing more than three times the amount of vitamin C per 100g found in oranges4.
Share your breakfast boost
Nothing increases wellbeing and vitality than sharing good times with friends. Brunch, a barbecue, or creating a playlist of top songs to get everyone in the mood. If you want to keep things simple food wise, why not cut up a giant platter of fresh fruit to put at the centre of the table? The enticing yellow flesh of a Zespri SunGold kiwifruit is the perfect colour contrast to other summer sources of vitality.
Get active early
The more energetic you are, the more energetic you’ll feel! Incorporating a little light exercise into your summer morning is a fantastic way to revitalise both the body and the mind. Plus, outdoor activities are always more fun when the sun is shining. So, dust off your trainers, pop a couple of Zespri SunGold kiwifruit in your backpack and go grab some fresh air and vitality.
Certain breakfast ingredients like oats and seeds release energy more slowly, which can keep you fuller for longer5. So, if you want to keep hunger at bay this summer, why not prepare a delicious healthy super cookie breakfast?. Packed full of kiwifruit, oats, seeds and blueberries, it is a tasty treat for an extra special morning.
- Darmon N, Darmon M, Maillot M, Drewnowski A. A nutrient density standard for vegetables and fruits: nutrients per calorie and nutrients per unit cost. J Am Diet Assoc. 2005;105:1881-7.
- Carr AC, Bozonet SM, Pullar JM, Vissers MC. Mood improvement in young adult males following supplementation with gold kiwifruit, a high-vitamin C food. J Nutr Sci. 2013 Jul 24;2:e24
- European Commission. EU register on nutrition and health claims (2012).
- USDA national nutrient database for standard reference (release 28). 2015.
- Harvard Health Publishing. https://www.health.harvard.edu/nutrition/why-nutritionists-are-crazy-about-nuts