6 Reasons SunGold™ Kiwifruit is the Perfect Healthy Snack for Kids
Health & Lifestyle
Did You Know
Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit may be small, but they’re powerful! In fact, SunGold kiwi fruit is a nutrient-dense package that can help kids learn, play and thrive.
What we eat affects our health and well-being throughout our lives, but it has an even greater impact on children whose bodies and minds are still growing. SunGold kiwis are a perfect healthy snack for kids, and here are 6 reasons why:
BURSTING WITH 20+ NUTRIENTS
With one of the highest nutritional values of all commonly eaten fruits,1 Kiwifruit contain more than 20 essential vitamins and minerals for kids,2 as well as other key nutrients that support overall health, such as fiber, folate and potassium.
SUPPORTS A HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEM
Zespri SunGold Kiwis are excellent sources of vitamin C.2 Vitamin C is essential for kids, as it plays a number of important roles in the body, including supporting the immune system and helping wounds heal—beneficial for everything kids do!3 Did you know:
Just 1 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit has 100% of daily vitamin C needs for kids and adults ages 4 and older+!
They have exceptionally high levels of vitamin C (more than a medium orange*).
COULD IMPROVE ENERGY LEVELS
Not consuming enough foods high in vitamin C is linked with fatigue and low energy levels.3 And with vitamin C intake on the decline among Americans of all ages, due to less whole fruit being eaten,4 you may be wondering how you can ensure your child gets enough of this vital antioxidant. Look no further than Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit!
In fact, because of their high vitamin C content, Zespri SunGold Kiwi fruit have been shown to improve vitality and reduce feelings of tiredness.5
PROVIDES NUTRIENTS FOR ACTIVE KIDS TO REPLENISH
Move over bananas – kiwifruits are also a good source of potassium. So much that Zespri Kiwifruit contains as much potassium as a medium banana,2,^ a crucial mineral that helps keep the body hydrated and maintain normal muscle function6—perfect to help kids recover and rejuvenate after exercise!
COULD HELP YOUR CHILD’S TUMMY
Foods with fiber like Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit,2 are essential for good digestive health. In fact, Zespri SunGold Kiwi fruit have been shown to relieve constipation when eaten daily.7,8 This may help keep children regular when included as part of an overall balanced eating pattern.
SWEET & REFRESHING SNACK
Let’s face it: kids tend to be picky eaters, especially when it comes to eating their fruits and vegetables. But kiwi fruit is so nutritious, it’s tough to resist. So, when you’re struggling to find something healthy your kids actually like, look no further!
For the perfect lunchbox sweet treat or after-school snack, cut a Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit in half for a refreshingly sweet bite and scoop to enjoy! Zespri Kiwifruit is perfect any time of day—check out these kid-friendly kiwi recipes everyone will enjoy!
- Raw Fruits Poster. FDA website. https://www.fda.gov/food/food-labeling-nutrition/raw-fruits-poster-text-version-accessible-version. Updated December 13, 2017. Accessed March 17, 2022.
- FoodData Central. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service website. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/168211/nutrients. Updated March 2019. Accessed March 15, 2022.
- Vitamin C. National Institutes of Health, Office of Dietary Supplements website. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-Consumer/. Updated March 22, 2021. Accessed March 17, 2022.
- Brauchla M, Dekker MJ, Rehm CD. Trends in Vitamin C Consumption in the United States: 1999-2018. Nutrients. 2021;13(2):420.
- Conner TS, Fletcher BD, Pullar JM, Spencer E, Mainvil LA, Vissers MCM. KiwiC for vitality: Results of a randomized placebo-controlled trial testing the effects of kiwifruit or vitamin c tablets on vitality in adults with low vitamin c levels. Nutrients. 2020;12(9):2898.
- Potassium. National Institutes of Health, Office of Dietary Supplements website. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Potassium-Consumer/. Updated March 22, 2021. Accessed March 17, 2022.
- Eady SL, Wallace AJ, Hedderley DI, Bentley-Hewitt KL, Butts CA. The effects on immune function and digestive health of consuming the skin and flesh of Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit (Actinidia Chinensis var. Chinensis 'Zesy002') in healthy and IBS-constipated individuals. Nutrients. 2020;12(5):1453.
- Bayer SB, Frampton CM, Gearry RB, Barbara G. Habitual green kiwifruit consumption is associated with a reduction in upper gastrointestinal symptoms - a systematic scoping review [published online ahead of print, 2022 Mar 10]. Adv Nutr. 2022;nmac025. doi:10.1093/advances/nmac025.
*1 medium orange FDC ID: 1102597 (154 grams), 81.9 mg vitamin C; 1 serving Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit FDC ID: 168211 (162 grams – 2 medium kiwifruits), 261 mg vitamin C.
+A serving of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit (2 medium kiwifruits) provides 261 milligrams of vitamin C, which is 290% of the recommended daily value for children aged 4 years and older.
^ 1 medium banana FDC: 173944 [118 grams], 422 mg potassium; 1 serving Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit FDC: 168211 (162 grams – 2 medium kiwifruits), 510 mg potassium.