Boost Your Vitality with Kiwifruit Juice
Health & Lifestyle
Did You Know's
If you've spent any amount of time on this site — and we hope you have! — you know that we love drinking kiwifruit smoothies. Kiwi smoothies are easy to make and full of flavor. And the versatility of kiwifruit means you can mix and match it with a wealth of other fruits and make a delicious drink that's packed with nutrients — from vitamin C, folate, fiber, potassium and much more.
But smoothies aren't the only way to drink your way to vitality. There's also kiwifruit juice! And just like a smoothie, kiwi-enriched juice is fast, simple and easy to make!
Why Store-Bought Juice is Less-Than Favorable
When it comes to drinking juice, there are plenty of options. The juice aisle in supermarkets and grocery stores are packed full of choices. Orange juice, grapefruit juice, pineapple juice — just to name three. But unless you're buying really expensive "cold pressed" juice, most store bought juice is made from a combination of juice concentrates (depending on the flavor) and other synthetic vitamins, artificial coloring and loads of sugar and sweeteners.
If you want to know exactly what ingredients are in your juice — and how much — then you're better off making your own. It might not be quite as easy as buying a carton of juice at your local market, but it's not difficult to make kiwi juice. And you don't need to own a juicer to do it!
Absorb Nutrients Faster. Drinking fresh fruit juices greatly reduces the digestion process. When you juice, you remove most — if not all — of the fruit pulp, leaving the nutrient-dense juice that's must easier to digest.
Improve Energy Levels. Drinking fresh juice delivers vitamin B and C, as well as potassium, to you. These life-enriching nutrients contribute to increased energy, stamina and muscle recovery.
Control Your Sugar Intake. Over the counter juices may have a lot of sugar — more than you want for yourself and your family. But juice, especially kiwifruit juice, made from home has none of the impurities you can find in store-bought juice.
Instead of artificial sweeteners, you're relying on the natural sweetness of kiwifruit for flavor. Need to boost the sweetness level a bit more? Try natural agave syrup. But you'll find that the tropical sweetness of SunGold and the tart, tangy goodness of Zespri Green kiwifruit is all you need for a delightfully sweet and undeniably refreshing drink.
So enough of the "whys." Now let's talk recipes!
Strawberry Kiwi Juice
We already know that kiwi and strawberries work well together. So you can expect this simple Strawberry Kiwi Juice to be full of flavor and nutrients on top of being absolutely refreshing.
What You'll Need
- 4 cups strawberries, halved
- 1 cup Zespri kiwifruit, peeled & quartered (about 2 kiwifruit)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp.fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- Ice (optional)
What You'll Do
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a sieve into a pitcher, and discard solids.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until thoroughly chilled.
- Serve over ice, if desired.
SunGold Kiwifruit Cider
Warm cider on a cold winter day is just what the doctor ordered — especially if you find yourself fighting a cold. Next time you need a helpful boost to your vitality or soothe a sore throat, try making our SunGold Kiwifruit Cider.
What You'll Need:
- 10 Zespri SunGold kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp. whole cloves
- 4 cups of cold water
- 3 Tbsp. of honey
- ½ tsp. of turmeric
What You'll Do:
- Add the sliced kiwifruit to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add cinnamon sticks and whole cloves. Cover with water and set the slow cooker on high for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, use a potato masher or a whisk to break down the fruit.
- Stir in the honey and turmeric.
- Return heat to low.
- After 2 hours, turn the heat off and let cool for about 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, arrange a large bowl underneath a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth.
- Strain all of the liquid into a large bowl and discard the solid contents. Garnish with a cinnamon sugar ring and enjoy!
*Getting the sniffles? It's that time of year! We have some tips on how you can Fend Off the Flu with Zespri Kiwifruit.*