100g butter, chopped, at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
2 large free-range eggs
2 cups self-raising flour
3 Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit
1 Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit, peeled, roughly chopped
80g butter, chopped, at room temperature
2 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan-forced. Line holes of a 12-hole 1/3 cup capacity muffin pan with paper cases.
- Put butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth and pale. Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Sift in flour, pour in milk, and beat again until just smooth.
- Peel one of the Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit, roughly chop it, then use a fork to mash it, then gently stir it into the batter.
- Divide batter between muffin holes. Bake for 18 minutes or until tested with a skewer. Cool cakes in pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make buttercream frosting, mash Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit with a fork, as smooth as possible. Put butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and mashed Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit, beating until all incorporated, light, and fluffy.
- Generously spread frosting on top of cooled cupcakes.
- Slice the remaining two Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit into 12 slices, then place on top of the frosting to decorate. Serve.