4 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit
4 roasted coffee beans
40g ground almonds
15g ground cashews
45g wheat flour
40g butter at room temperature
1 pinch of salt
5g instant coffee
2g cocoa powder
60g icing sugar
- To make the kiwifruit topping, heat the water with the sugar and the coffee beans. When the mixture reaches boiling point, add the peeled and chopped kiwifruit. Cover, remove from the heat and let cool. Set aside.
- For the biscuit, mix all the ingredients together until you get an even, crumbly dough. Break up the dough with your fingers and sprinkle into small portions on a lined baking tray. Transfer to an oven, pre-heated to 160°C, for 15 minutes. Toss the crumbs to make sure the mixture doesn’t burn and it’s left dry and crunchy. Let it cool and crumble again with your fingers. Set aside.
- For the cream, whip the egg whites with half of the icing sugar using an electric whisk. Once the mixture has formed stiff peaks, place in the fridge. In a large metal bowl over a bain marie*. whisk the yolks with the rest of the sugar until you get a foamy mix. Add the amaretto and carry on whisking until the liquid thickens. Add the egg whites and keep on whisking until they are fully incorporated and you have a smooth, thick cream. Let cool.
- Gently mix the cream with the mascarpone until completely smooth.
- Fill the base of some low drinking glasses with the biscuit crumbs, add a layer of the cream and finish off with the kiwifruit topping.This isn’t a traditional tiramisu but it’s a fun way of enjoying similar flavours alongside delicious SunGold kiwifruit.