- 2 cups cooked pinto beans
- ½ medium-sized onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ red pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground linseed
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour (or gram)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch turmeric
- 1 sprig fresh parsley or coriander
- 4 gluten free wholemeal seeded bread slices (roughly 80 g each)
For the sauce:
- 2 Zespri Green kiwifruit
- 1/2 red onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander or parsley
- For the burger: start by chopping the onion, garlic and red pepper as finely as possible.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan and gently sauté the garlic, onion and red pepper for 10 minutes, until softened. Meanwhile, roughly mash the cooked beans with a fork.
- Combine the sautéed vegetables, chickpea flour, chopped herbs, spices, seeds, salt and pepper and mix well. Leave to stand in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC.
- Using wet hands, divide the mixture into 4 equal amounts and shape into patties. Now place these on a baking tray which has been brushed with the remaining oil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- For the salsa: peel and dice the Zespri kiwifruit. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Place the onion and kiwifruit in a bowl, add the lime juice, coriander, oil, salt and pepper and mix well. Serve on top of the burger alongside a slice of wholemeal seeded bread.