- 3 Zespri SunGold kiwifruit
- 3 large egg whites
- 160 g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- A few drops of purple or pink food colouring
For the topping:
- 100 ml whipping cream
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- 60 g shelled pistachios
- 1 tub fresh raspberries
- Using a very clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with a hand-mixer or stand-mixer. When they start to form soft peaks, slowly add half the caster sugar, whisking continuously.
- As the mixture starts to look glossier, mix in the rest of the sugar, adding the corn flour and then the vinegar. You should end up with a stiff meringue mix that holds its shape.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of the meringue mixture in a separate bowl and gently fold in a few drops of food colouring.
- Line a heavy gauge baking tray with greaseproof baking paper and spread out the white meringue mixture in a circle the size of a dinner plate. Squiggle some of the coloured meringue mixture around the edges
- Bake in a very cool oven (130 °C) for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until it is dry to the touch but not brown. Turn the oven off, open the door slightly, and leave the meringue inside for a further 20 minutes to thoroughly dry out.
- Remove, leave to cool and carefully peel off the paper. Once baked, the base will keep well in an airtight container
- Just before serving, whip the cream with the vanilla extract and spread it over the meringue. Finally, top with chopped kiwifruit, raspberries and pistachios.