120g golden caster sugar
120g self-raising flour
4 Zespri™ SunGold™ kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
300ml double cream
1 lemon, zested
Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Grease and line a large Swiss roll tin (39 x 26cm) with baking paper, making sure the paper overhangs the edges of the tin. Thinly slice 2-3 kiwis.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 4 eggs with 120g golden caster sugar until pale and creamy. Gently fold in 120g sieved self-raising flour until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined tin, tipping the tin gently to get an even layer right into the corners. Place half the slices of kiwifruit on the surface of the batter. Bake for 15 mins or until lightly golden and springy to the touch.
- Allow the cake to cool for just a few mins, then remove from the tin and (while still warm) use the baking paper to help you roll up the sponge, starting from the longest edge. Rolling while warm should help prevent any cracking and you will end up with a long cylinder. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream.
- Unwrap the cooled sponge and trim any browned edges with a large serrated knife. Spread the whipped cream over the whole sponge in an even layer.
- Using the rest of your kiwi slices spread them out evenly over the cream.
- Re-roll the sponge, making sure the edges meet. Wrap the whole roll in a clean piece of non-stick baking paper and then a layer of clingfilm, pulling it tight and twisting the ends to seal again. Refrigerate for at least half an hour to firm up, or until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, unwrap the roll and transfer to a serving board or plate with the seam underneath. Trim the ends to neaten and decorate with a dusting of icing sugar.