3 Ways Kiwifruit May Help Support Your Immunity
Health & Lifestyle
Did You Know
Think quick: choose the phrase that best describes how in tune you are with your immune system:
- It’s all a mystery to me—I can never figure out why I feel more tired on certain days
- It’s not rocket science—sleep and exercise are all you need to worry about
- It’s a top priority—I know which foods and lifestyle choices can help support normal immune function
If you answered C, maybe you could have written this blog post! If you answered A or B, keep reading to discover how you can start feeling more revitalized.
THINK VITAMIN C FOR IMMUNE SUPPORT
Vitamin C rich fruits have many benefits for our health and wellbeing—including supporting the normal function of our immune system.1 In fact, the health of our immune system could even play an important role in directing how we can defend against cold and flu season.
Our bodies can’t make vitamin C on their own or store it, so it must be consumed regularly. Some may choose to take vitamin supplements, but there are delicious tasting foods that have it naturally (like kiwis)! What’s more, did you know that not eating enough foods high in vitamin C is linked with fatigue and low energy levels?1 And with vitamin C intake on the decline among Americans of all ages, due to less consumption of whole fruit,2 you may be wondering how you can get enough of this vital antioxidant. Look no further than Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit!
2 Ways Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit May Support Your Immunity
- Just one SunGold Kiwifruit provides 100% of your daily vitamin C needs.3,*
- SunGold Kiwifruit has exceptionally high levels of vitamin C—more than a medium orange+—and one of the highest levels of vitamin C among commonly eaten fruit.4
Because of this high vitamin C content, SunGold Kiwifruit has been scientifically shown to improve vitality and reduce feelings of tiredness.5
NUTRIENT-RICH FOODS SUPPORT YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit has over 20 vitamins and minerals along with one of the highest nutrient values among other commonly eaten fruit.3,4 While it is true that physical exercise and a solid night’s sleep are important for maintaining a healthy immune system, good nutrition is also a must. Zespri SunGold Kiwi fruit is a simple, easy, quick and delicious option to include as part of an overall healthy, balanced eating plan that can keep your body on track. Kiwi health benefits combined with the refreshing, sweet taste makes them almost irresistible. Ready to give them a try? Just cut, scoop and enjoy!
Fun Kiwifruit Facts
With skin that’s smooth but strong enough to avoid bruising, you can actually bite into Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit just as you would an apple or pear.
Eating both skin and fruit nearly doubles the fiber content per serving, delivering 34% more folate and 32% more vitamin E.6 New research also suggests eating the skin and flesh of SunGold Kiwifruit has additional benefits on digestive health.7
INCORPORATE KIWIS FOR A NATURAL BOOST
The healthier we feel, the stronger we feel. But supporting our immune system isn't just a physical challenge—it's also a mental exercise. Ask yourself: what activities help you feel recharged?
For us, a flavorful meal shared with family and friends is a guaranteed good time. And there’s no better way to start a new day than with a wholesome breakfast—so why not prepare a SunGold Kiwifruit Breakfast Power Bowl made with oats and chia seeds, topped with almonds or dried shredded coconut?
Craving more kiwifruit culinary inspiration? Check out our complete collection of kiwi recipes.
- Vitamin C. National Institutes of Health, Office of Dietary Supplements website. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-Consumer/. Updated March 22, 2021. Accessed March 17, 2022.
- Brauchla M, Dekker MJ, Rehm CD. Trends in Vitamin C Consumption in the United States: 1999-2018. Nutrients. 2021;13(2):420.
- FoodData Central. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service website. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/168211/nutrients. Updated March 2019. Accessed March 15, 2022.
- Raw Fruits Poster. FDA website. https://www.fda.gov/food/food-labeling-nutrition/raw-fruits-poster-text-version-accessible-version. Updated December 13, 2017. Accessed March 17, 2022.
- Conner TS, Fletcher BD, Pullar JM, Spencer E, Mainvil LA, Vissers MCM. KiwiC for vitality: Results of a randomized placebo-controlled trial testing the effects of kiwifruit or vitamin c tablets on vitality in adults with low vitamin c levels. Nutrients. 2020;12(9):2898.
- Richardson DP, Ansell J, Drummond LN. The nutritional and health attributes of kiwifruit: a review. Eur J Nutr. 2018;57(8):2659-2676.
- Eady SL, Wallace AJ, Hedderley DI, Bentley-Hewitt KL, Butts CA. The effects on immune function and digestive health of consuming the skin and flesh of Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit (Actinidia Chinensis var. Chinensis 'Zesy002') in healthy and IBS-constipated individuals. Nutrients. 2020;12(5):1453.
*A serving of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit (2 medium kiwifruits) provides 261 milligrams of vitamin C, which is 290% of the recommended daily value.
+1 medium orange FDC ID: 1102597 [154 grams], 81.9 mg vitamin C; 1 serving Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit FDC ID: 168211 (162 grams – 2 medium kiwifruits), 261 mg vitamin C.