How Schooled Are You on Golden Kiwifruit? Feast on These 5 Fun Facts
Health & Lifestyle
Did You Know
Kiwis are old-world fruits with a modern-day tale—and taste. Though recorded history of the native Chinese fruit dates back to first millennium B.C. poetry, the Zespri™ story takes off when kiwifruit was introduced to New Zealand in 1904.1 Despite New Zealand commercializing the fruit in 1928, it wasn’t until 1997 that national kiwi fruit growers decided to unite and, thus, the Zespri Kiwifruit brand was born. Learn 5 fascinating kiwifruit facts that have been unfolding since our story began:
ONE OF A KIND SWEET TASTE
Bursting with unique flavor unlike anything you've tried before, Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit is loved around the world for its refreshing taste. With an unexpectedly sweet taste that packs punch, some say Zespri SunGold kiwi are a wake up call for your sweet tooth. Ready to try the kiwis with a taste for adventure? Here’s where you can pick up Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit.
SUNGOLD IS BURSTING WITH VITAMIN C
How much vitamin C does a Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit contain, anyway? A single serving, or 2 kiwifruits, is packed with 261 milligrams of vitamin C, meeting 290% of your daily needs. That’s more vitamin C than one medium orange!2,* And much more than 100% of your daily vitamin C needs in one fruit. Talk about vitamin C foods for thought!
ZESPRI SUNGOLD™ KIWIFRUIT SAVED OUR INDUSTRY
Not long after the Zespri Kiwifruit brand launched, a new, yellow-fleshed, golden variety was developed. With its smoother skin and sweeter taste, our golden kiwifruit spinoff was a win-win. Until 2010, that is, when there was an outbreak of the bacterial vine disease, Pseudomonas syringae pv actinadiae (Psa). Within 2 years, nearly half of New Zealand’s kiwifruit orchards had been hit hard by this infection.
That’s where Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit comes in. As a variety that had already been in development for more than 10 years, Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit was ripe to save the day —this newer variety was Psa-tolerant, enabling growers to harvest a bountiful crop. Consumers were already fans of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit because of its balanced, sweet, tropical taste and skin that was even smoother than the original golden variety.
KIWIS PROVIDE AS MUCH POTASSIUM AS BANANAS
That’s bananas, right? When you think of foods that are good sources of potassium, one banana has 422 milligrams of potassium, whereas a single serving of 2 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruits contains 510 milligrams of the nutrient.2,+ Why exactly does potassium matter so much? Potassium is a big deal because it helps maintain normal blood pressure, carries nutrients into your cells and supports healthy nerve and muscle function.3
THE SKIN IS EDIBLE AND HAS BENEFICIAL NUTRIENTS
Yep, that’s right—you’re used to eating the outside of apples and pears and enjoying the skin of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruits can be just as easy and super nutritious. Consuming this kiwifruit’s smooth outer skin practically doubles the fiber content per serving, while loading up on 34% more folate and 32% more vitamin E.4 New research suggests that eating the skin and flesh of SunGold Kiwifruit together has added beneficial effects on digestive health that are not seen when just eating the flesh alone!5
Craving Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit yet? Find your next favorite recipe.
- Alimentarium. Kiwi fruit. https://www.alimentarium.org/en/knowledge/kiwi-fruit. Accessed March 14, 2022.
- FoodData Central. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service website. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/168211/nutrients. Updated March 2019. Accessed March 15, 2022.
- Potassium. National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements website. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Potassium-Consumer/. Updated March 2022, 2021. Accessed March 15, 2022.
- Richardson DP, Ansell J, Drummond LN. The nutritional and health attributes of kiwifruit: a review. Eur J Nutr. 2018;57(8):2659-2676.
- Eady SL, Wallace AJ, Hedderley DI, Bentley-Hewitt KL, Butts CA. The effects on immune function and digestive health of consuming the skin and flesh of Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit (Actinidia Chinensis var. Chinensis 'Zesy002') in healthy and IBS-constipated individuals. Nutrients. 2020;12(5):1453.
- The Produce News. Zespri sees huge increase in North American SunGold kiwi sales. https://theproducenews.com/kiwifruit/zespri-sees-huge-increase-north-american-sungold-kiwi-sales. Updated September 17, 2021. Accessed March 14, 2022.
+1 medium banana FDC: 173944 [118 grams], 422 mg potassium; 1 serving Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit FDC: 168211 [162 grams], 510 mg potassium.
*1 medium orange FDC ID: 1102597 [154 grams], 81.9 mg vitamin C; 1 serving Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit FDC ID: 168211 [162 grams], 261 mg vitamin C.