Candied Zespri™ Kiwifruit Chips (optional, for garnish):
6 Zespri™ Green or Zespri™ SunGold Kiwifruit
1 cup (237 ml) water
1 cup (237 ml) sugar
Lemongrass Infused Gin:
1 bottle (750 ml) Gin
2 stalks fresh lemongrass
Zespri™ Kiwifruit Debauchery Cocktail:
1 Zespri™ Green or Zespri™ SunGold Kiwifruit
1 lime, quartered
1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
2 oz (56.8 ml) lemongrass infused gin
2 oz (56.8 ml) passion fruit nectar
Lemongrass Infused Gin
- Cut lemongrass in half lengthwise exposing inner leaves.
- Drop into the bottle of gin and infuse for 72-96 hours, tasting as you go. The gin should be flavored but not bitter from the infusion.
Candied Zespri™ Kiwifruit Chips (optional, for garnish)
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer until dissolved; set aside to cool in a shallow bowl.
- Slice Zespri™ kiwifruit, skin on, thinly and soak in the sugared water, refrigerated, for 6-8 hours.
- Lay Zespri™ kiwifruit slices on parchment lined baking tray and bake at 220°F (104°C) for 1 hour until crispy but not brown.
- Remove and store in a cool, dry place.
Zespri Kiwifruit Debauchery Cocktail
- Cut Zespri kiwifruit in half and scoop contents with a spoon into cocktail shaker.
- Add three lime wedges and the sugar.
- Muddle until juices are mixed and released from fruit.
- Add the gin, and passion fruit nectar.
- Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into ice-filled rocks glass.
- Garnish with candied Zespri kiwifruit chips and lime wedge.
- Recipe courtesy of Chef Mark Brand of Chambar Restaurant