2 Zespri™ SunGold Kiwifruit
2 Zespri™ Green Kiwifruit
4 Sonoma, 'Liberty' duck breast
6 tbsp cracked black peppercorns
3 large Yukon Gold potatoes
1 bunch green scallion tops
- Recipe courtesy of Chef Melissa Perello, Fifth Floor, San Francisco
- Duck Breasts
- Trim duck breasts of excess fat and score the skin with cross hatch marks, but do not pierce the flesh.
- Season the duck with coarse salt and generously press the cracked pepper corns into the skin of the breast.
- Place the breasts skin side down in a warm skillet over medium heat with a sash of vegetable oil.
- Once the breasts begin to attain color, turn the heat down to low, and pour off a bit of the excess fat.
- Continue to cook the breasts for approximately 10-15 minutes on the skin side until the skin is rendered out, golden and crispy.
- Flip the breast briefly for about 30-45 seconds and transport the breasts from the pan to a small rack to rest for five minutes in a warm area.
- Peel and dice the potatoes into 3/4"" cubes.
- Place in a pot of cool salted water and simmer until very tender, almost mushy.
- Drain the potatoes and spread on a small tray to cool.
- Peel the Zespri™ kiwifruit and slice into matchstick shapes. Thinly slice the scallion tops and combine with both colors of kiwifruit, reserve.
- Heat a medium Teflon pan with one tbsp of vegetable oil. Mash the cooled potatoes slightly with your hand and add them to the hot pan, packing them together tightly. Turn the heat down low, and let the potatoes caramelize with out stirring or flipping. Once the potatoes are golden and crispy on the one side, gently break them up and stir a bit. Season if necessary.
To serve: slice each duck breast into six or eight slices and serve over a bed of potatoes. Drape a large spoonful of the Zespri™ kiwifruit mixture over each breast to garnish.